Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Son's Old Shoes

My son has worn these shoes into the ground. Or the garbage if you ask anyone who sees them.

And yet, he continues to wear them! They are barely holding together, with huge holes and worn out spots and broken laces. He has a brand new pair waiting on the sidelines, the exact same kind, still in their box, but he likes his old ones.

People have advised me to sneak into his room at night and get rid of them. I'm the mom, so I should just say put those awful things in the trash and be done with it.

The thing is, though, I am his Mom and he has his reasons for wanting to wear those crazy old shoes and I'm going to respect that. I've gotten so used to them, I don't even notice anymore.

In the grand scheme of parenthood, I decided a long time ago that fighting with the kids over what they wanted to wear was silly and pointless. Are they good kids? Yes, absolutely. Do they have a sense of style unique to them? That they do. If we were going to a wedding would he put on the new shoes? I'm 99% positive he would.

It's no big deal. I kind of like that he's doing his own thing.

Besides, he's super cool. I can support his super coolness!

1 comment: