Monday, March 10, 2014

Fascinating Promises

There was a time, in the not too distant past, that our house was full of boys.  There was always someone staying over, not as a guest, more like family.  They were noisy, messy, always starving, pranking, daring, making me crazy, and I miss them all like I never thought possible.

The sad fact is that a group of kids, all the same age, same grade, all hit the same milestones at the same time.  They all stand on the edge of their nests, with eyes fixed on fascinating promises at the horizon and they take that step out into air, wings opening in the freedom of flight and the sheer exhilaration life.

We stand back and watch them go, with cheers and wishes and prayers and love.

If it all goes right, someday, there will be a knock at the front door, and when opened, there will be one of those brave, young birds, standing at attention, looking oh so sharp in his pressed uniform.....


I couldn't be more proud if he was my own son!

2 comments:

  1. Aww! That's adorable! I'd be proud of him, too! My house is usually girls, tho (due to my 16 year old) and they all call me Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really struck a chord with me. Reminded me of mornings when I'd have to step over six or seven bodies to make my way across the living room. Having those other kids at the edges of our lives and watching as they've grown and changed is one of the great bonuses of parenting.

    ReplyDelete