Thursday, June 13, 2013

Six Random Facts

1. Our first meal as a married couple was pepperoni pizza at our local pizza parlor.  We'd just left our wedding reception and realized we'd been too busy shaking hands and hugging family to have eaten any of the food.  As we headed into town, pizza sounded so deliciously perfect, we stopped.  We sat in the restaurant and held hands across the table and we couldn't stop grinning.  Sometimes when I'm down there picking up our pizza order, I can see the ghost of those two joyful kids, and it is pleasing to know that we were right.  Us is a very good thing.

2.  I tuck his side of the blankets in tight all the way from top to bottom, while my side is loose and ready for dogs to slip under.  Even when he is gone, when I make the bed I tuck his side in just the way he likes it.  Our daughter recently tried to get into bed on his side and was horrified by how tight it was.  How can he even move? she asked.  That could explain why he spends most of his nights in the middle.

3.  When we roast hot dogs over an open fire, be it on camping trips or backyard adventures, he cooks both of our dogs. I get the buns ready while he slaves over an open fire, putting just the right burn on mine.  It started because we only had three hot dog sticks and four people, so while he and the kids were cooking the hot dogs, I was busy getting plates of food ready for everyone.  Sometime last summer we accidentally left a family camp out with several more hot dog sticks then we brought to the party; but I still don't cook my own!

4. We hold hands all the time.  There was a moment in high school that I realized my hand fit to his perfectly, like the finishing pieces of a puzzle, and we've never let go.  His homecomings become real the second our hands find each other.  When I picked him up at the train station just in time for our son's graduation, we hugged and kissed, and it was when we got back in the car, and my hand resting on the console was clasped tight with his, that I was happy.

5. When we moved to New Jersey, we spent a week living in a hotel, waiting for our Coast Guard apartment to be ready.  We had no choice but to eat out at every meal.   We'd drive in random directions each evening, eating at new places, missing our old familiar favorites.  I will never forget the moment we found a Denny's!  It was like a piece of home and our joy and excitement was unparalleled.  It served as a beacon of hope that we would be able to be at home in our new town.

6. He's a country boy at heart; he yearns for trees and fields and space from neighbors, but I prefer to live in town so we live in town.  I said I live alone too much to feel comfortable with the idea of bears spying on me through windows.  Human peeping Toms don't frighten me near as much as furry ones do, and after laughing (a lot) he bought this house on a corner lot, with views of our old high school and the valley leading into town.  We've made a good home here, one we both love.

This post is inspired by prompt #1 at Mama's Losin' It!





8 comments:

  1. Awww, he cooks your hot dog for you? There's a keeper! I HATE cooking hot dogs over a campfire. My face feels like it's going to burst into flames and my hot dog actually does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so sweet. I felt tears well up within me. How precious of a love you have. Thank you for sharing. Coming from Mama Kat's Losin' It!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post! You two are perfect for each other. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like the two of you really put each other first and have come out happier for it. You tuck him in at night, he cooks your hot dogs - that's the way it should be. I'm visiting from Mama Kat's too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww lovely feel good post!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like true love to me! Me and the hubs like holding hands, too. It just feels good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Number two sounds like a good excuse for cuddles. ^_^

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, you guys sound so perfect for each other. I love that you guys went for pizza after your wedding!

    ReplyDelete