Sunday, July 20, 2008

Oscar Mayer, How Could You?

Oh, Oscar Mayer, how could you do this to me?

I've been your number one fan of your all beef franks. I love their texture, their pale pink loveliness, their all-beef-no-questionable-meat-ness, the way they blacken over an open fire. They are the only hot dogs I will buy, for years and years.

A few weeks ago, we were camping in Oregon. We ran out of hot dogs, which is easy to do since that is our favorite camping dinner, and we stopped at a local grocery store to buy OM all beef franks. They looked different, more red, and when we ate them, they were DIFFERENT.

The taste and texture was like eating a SAUSAGE! No! No! No! I want my hot dog to be like a rolled up piece of bologna, smooth and delicious.

I told myself it was because we were in a different state. But I discovered yesterday as I shopped for another camping trip, Oscar Mayer has a "new and improved" label on their all beef hot dogs, and they are the same horrible red color. No thank you. Why mess with a good thing in the first place?

So, Oscar Mayer, you have forced me to shop around for a new brand of hot dogs. Ball-Park all beef franks, step up to bat. Let's see how you plump.

2 comments:

  1. So maybe you'll like our Oscar Mayer not all beef hot dogs...they are not red and they ARE bun length! That's a selling point for David....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am going to vomit. I realize I hate hot dogs and thinking of them pink and plump is not helping. Also, I had to eat one of the boys' chicken hot dogs last night and almost threw up trying to swallow the last bite. Eating a hot dog that tastes like chicken is not right!

    ReplyDelete