Sunday, December 30, 2007

The New Mop In My Life

I have a terrible confession to make.

I am in love with my new mop.

It's not like it's a different brand then the one I've been using for years. It's the same. I just bought a new handle too, to replace the whole thing. It's the same mop, essentially.

But the excitement I felt as I put it in my Target shopping cart was unbelievable. I couldn't wait to get home and try it out!

Once at home, I put it next to the old one, with its paint flaking off, the mop head on it's last legs, and I thought, goodbye old friend. We've done so much together. This mop handle moved into our new house three years ago, it helped scrub years of dust and neglect off the floors; it disinfected the floor upstairs after one of the kids puked; it has been the final wipe down of the bathroom floor after the toilet overflowed....

That night I wanted to sweep and mop, just because I could. The floors weren't that dirty, they could wait a few days. But, I wanted to tear that plastic off the new mop head and dunk it's moppiness in a bucket of sudsy water.

Fate intervened.

The toilet was clogged. Big time. I won't go into details except to say whoever designed our toilet must have pure evil in his heart. Every time the plunger plunges, water spurts up like a geyser. I'm literally soaking wet with toilet water when I'm through. That's a whole other blog! Back on topic. The floor is soaked, literally waves of water lapping at the walls. I get the old ratty towels that I only have on hand to clean up toilet water and get it all dried up.

Sweet new mop, it is time for you.

It will not be a soft, sweet induction into the mopping of our floors. New mop, it will be a trial by fire. Boiling hot water, disinfecting cleanser, I know, it hurts! Get into the corners, all the way behind the tiolet, track down every last particle of hidden tiolet water!

But, new mop, you did it. I think I love you.

1 comment:

  1. You are hilarious! Did Erik take the picture of the house w/the pin up girl? You know I drive by it every day!

    ReplyDelete