Friday, January 22, 2010

What Is It About Puppies...

....that I love so? All I know is I love them. They are so freaking cute!

I've just been relaxing on the couch with our, er, I mean my daughter's new puppy, watching her sleep. She is a tiny ball of adorable!
It's like having a baby in the house. We've been looking forward to her arrival, counting day the days until her 'due' date. My daughter cleaned up and puppy proofed her room. We spent hours tossing out names, even on the car ride down to pick her up, I couldn't resist giving my daughter suggestions. Turns out the puppy wasn't a Gracie or an Alice, but a lovely Olive.

Then we've got to introduce her to her big dog 'sisters' or would Sarah and Emma be her aunts? We've made sure we have new dog toys for the Beagles, and special treats to ease their meeting.
Night time comes with a crying puppy and a daughter knocking on our door to say Olive has messed in her crate. Very similar to newborns and dirty diapers!

As she slept next to me on the couch, I watched her do a little suckling motion with her mouth and instantly I saw in my mind my own babies doing that in their sleep. It was a very sweet moment, and I remembered how much I wanted 6 kids. Well, if you count dogs, I have five now.

The thing that is not like babies at all is that I am going to put Olive away in her crate when I take my shower. You really can't crate a baby. You may want to, but you can't. Laws and good parenting and all that.

This is why I love puppies. They are like babies, but really, they are dogs. I'm not so dog crazy that I don't know that!

Just almost that dog crazy.


1 comment:

  1. I was just thinking that having 3 dogs isn't so shocking since you wanted so many kids! I am a little suspicious of whose dog Olive really is, thinking that she may be Leah's now but .... Sarah needs a baby who loves her! :)

    ReplyDelete