Saturday, July 27, 2013

Of Dryer Lint And Toilet Paper Tubes

I have an accidental start to hoarding.  Let me start from the beginning:

A few years ago, I decided that at the very least, I should be recycling the paper tp tubes, but at the best, I'd be saving them for crafts.  I mean, how many times have we gone to our cupboards to put together eight binoculars for Sunday school, and there were no tubes to be had?  I know, right?  All the time!  Since I am frequently the changer of the toilet paper roll, I started setting the tubes aside to put away later.

Later turned into never and occasionally I will do a clean sweep of the bathroom shelves and recycle all the tubes I find.

Dryer lint and I go way back.  When I was young, I'd read of an artist who used dryer lint as her medium.  This made perfect since to me because dryer lint can be the softest shades of pink, purple and gray.  Lovely!  I wanted to start my own art form, based on stealing all the lint, but that was ix-nayed by the parents!  As an adult, I don't like it.  I hate pulling the trap out.  But I do, and since I'm half lazy, I leave the trappings in a small basket in the laundry room, referred to me as the laundry garbage but really it was just a nice basket to hold toys that somehow ended up empty by the dryer and was commandeered into service.

So I have two piles of accidental hoarding: toilet paper tubes and dryer lint.

Imagine my great joy when I discovered that someone else had two piles of the same and instead of stressing that she was starting to go nuts, she stuffed the lint into the tubes and called it fire starters! So I took a tube of my own, stuffed it with lint, and thought, "Yep, that will catch fire fast," and then was super disturbed that I am hoarding a basket full of flammable stuff and then wondered if this genius lady has a pet because my lint seems to be half made up of dog fur which seems like something I won't enjoy burning.....

Yet I have taken all the tubes I found and added them to the lint basket.  I'll never know for sure unless I give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. I was just going to buy firestarters for camping week. Little did I know you had an endless supply! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post. Dryer lints very harmful for dryer. So when we will use dryer for dry our cloths we should clean lint filter and clean dryer vent.

    Dryer Vent Cleaning Southern California

    ReplyDelete