Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Five Feet Eight & One Third

For weeks I've been noticing how tall my son has gotten. He's shot up over the summer and is dangerously close to being as tall as me. People like to tell me he's gaining on me. But a few days ago someone said he is taller than me.

Taller? No way. I quickly said he's very close, but I'm still taller.

But since we were at the doctors office, we made it official and measured him. He is 5 feet, 8 and 1/3 inches tall. And yes, that is officially taller than me.

I was struck speechless. I couldn't believe it. It really doesn't seem that long ago that I held that 7 lb 1 oz, 19 1/4 inch long, brand new baby boy. Or had a skinny three foot tall three year old asking for a 'snuggle up'.

Yet, here it is. Fourteen years later and he is taller and funnier and smarter and just all around better than I ever imagined our baby would be. Life is pretty amazing.

And that's all I have to say about that!

1 comment:

  1. My tall, handsome grandson walked in the back door unannounced the other night and took my breath away. Besides being startled by someone walking in after dark (!) it took a second to recognize him with his grown up look. I keep looking for that precious, precocious boy who kept us laughing at all his jokes and stories. I still laugh at all his jokes - at least the ones I understand!

    ReplyDelete