Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Remembering

When we lived in New Jersey, we lived close enough to New York City to see it across the water.  We'd been making our way on the Jersey shore, when my mom and sisters came to visit for Christmas.  There was nothing for it but to pile into a tiny car and go exploring, and while my husband said he was absolutely not going to drive us into the city (he did it regularly with his job and wasn't a fan of the traffic) we took some wrong turns and ended up in the city, driving right beneath the Twin Towers. 

I remember craning my neck and trying to look up, trying to see exactly how tall they really were in person, and being unable to fully comprehend it, they were so freaking tall!  It was amazing!  We drove around and ended up in a park where we enjoyed a view of the back side of the Statue of Liberty, and the fantastic skyline that is New York City.  It was my favorite part of the day.

Two kids having the time of our lives.




Today is a day to remember, and not to forget.   For the first time in years, I can look at this picture and smile.  That was a great day, this was a great view, and those towers were really fantastic.

My moment of silent remembrance is right now, late at night.  I know this was exactly the time when I was laying in bed, listening to my kids sleep, praying like I'd never prayed before.  I still pray like that.

1 comment: