Monday, December 8, 2008

The Reason I Love Romance Novels

Yesterday was totally awesome. My mom, both sisters, my daughter and myself went to see the stage production of Seven Brides For Seven Brothers. It was fantastic! Even sitting in the nose bleed section, suffering a serious bout of vertigo as I looked down on the stage settings start to move back and forth, it was totally worth it. The songs! The dancing! The shirtless men doing suggestive things! The kidnapping and romance!

I have always loved the movie. I don't remember the first time I saw it, I only know that I loved it from that first viewing. It was so romantic! Adam coming down off the mountain to sweep Millie off her feet with 3 years of courtin' done in five minutes, the six brothers stealing the town girls hearts at the barn raising/dance social, the brothers carrying off their sobbin' women, the end when all the girls claim the baby is 'mine' so they can marry the brothers....man, I love it. I also remember wanting to love the short lived TV show of the same name. Sadly, that was not even close to being as good as the movie.

As I sat there yesterday, grinning from ear to ear, watching the brothers throw their girls over their shoulders and carry them off into the sunset, I realized this show is why I love romance novels. After all, it has all the components of a good novel: a quickie marriage, the realization that the girls romantic dreams are not the reality of her husband, a husband who thinks at the beginning that all girls are the same, add in some kidnapping in the name of love and the town bad boys making good in the end.

Now that is some good romance!

As much as I love Millie, I'd rather be Frank's girl. A man named Frankincense is going to be the most spirited in the bunch, and that's how I like. Scrappy and feisty!

No comments:

Post a Comment