Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Serious Business Of Hopes And Dreams

Not everyone wants to go to college. I sure as heck didn't. But I felt it was frowned on by society in this modern age of feminism to say what I really hoped to do when I grew up, so I picked a career path and I applied to colleges, all the while swallowing back my hopes and dreams.

Because what I really wanted was to get married and have babies. At least six. Babies, that is. Only one husband.

That was my aspiration, my goal, my dream.

College would have been wasted on me. I know my choice to not go to college, to get married when I was 18, to have my first child at 21, is not a choice for everyone.

But by golly, it was the right choice for me.

My current hope and dream is that I am raising two kids who follow their dreams. Who aren't forced into anything, based on what their gender is or isn't. I see our society as swinging so far from the idea of 'the little lady belongs in the kitchen' to the idea that 'the little lady' can't find fulfillment in the kitchen.

There is a balance between the two and it's called happiness. My children's balance doesn't have to be my balance, and that is totally okay with me. In fact, my hopes and dreams at this stage in my life is just this: that my kids will find their balance of happiness and pursue it with their whole heart. I want them to embrace the whole world, to see possibilities in everything, to find joy in living and to understand what will be the right choice for them.

That is very serious business. I've never been happier.

1 comment:

  1. So... then you wouldn't mind if I took David to visit some colleges near us? Maybe over spring break? We'd love to have him!

    ReplyDelete