Sunday, January 19, 2014

Music Makes The Memory

I've recently had a night alone and the chance to listen to my music (classic country) for as long and as loud as I wanted and it ended on a high note with Jim Reeves crooning "He'll Have To Go," and me positively melting at the sound of his voice.

The next day I heard what I currently consider to be the epitome of country music songs, Waylon Jennings singing the theme song to The Dukes of Hazard, "Good Ol' Boys," because it mentions key ingredients to the perfect country song: fast cars, law breaking, good old boys, and Mama.  I may have been a huge fan of the show as a kid, and like any good self respecting child of the 80's, I tried to get in and out of the car just through a rolled down window.....when my parents weren't looking.  They wouldn't have approved of any hood sliding Duke Boy antics.

I thought a lot about how music helps make and shape a memory.  Those certain songs that will always bring to mind a certain moment, that will never fail to evoke a memory, a feeling, that you fall into with welcome arms.

Today in church, we sang some lovely modern choruses and the congregation's uplifted voices made a joyful noise.  But when the leader threw in a curve ball, a song out of norm with what we expected, you could hear the difference.

Voices got louder, stronger, more vibrant.  People wiped away tears and there was a strong sense of 'this song takes me back'.....

The song?

Jesus Loves Me.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt my throat tighten, my eyes burn with tears, as I sang those familiar words. It was Sunday School, back when faith was innocent and unquestioned, when saying "Jesus loves me this I know," was what I really knew, no doubts, no worries, no hesitation.

I have savored that feeling all day long.

No comments:

Post a Comment