Sunday, July 11, 2010

I Would So Like To Be A Vegetarian....

Except for the crucial problem of not liking vegetables.

Sure, I like some. Corn, beans, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, spinach, asparagus , lettuce....

But can I live on that alone? Nope.

I would have to add grains and legumes and I just don't hate meat enough to make the switch to things I dislike.

I always think I'll do it and get used to the new, gross vegetarian foods, though, when I'm touching raw chicken to make dinner. The first time I was cooking a whole chicken for dinner, I was rinsing the raw bird off in the sink and thought this feels a lot like my newborn son.

And that made cooking whole chicken a whole lot not going to happen.

I have a veggie garden bursting with glorious green things (my zucchini plants are looking like they are ready to over throw the lettuce regime and conquer the whole garden) and I have just finished looking through a northwest vegetarian cookbook....

I've just got to face facts. I am never going to buy kale and use it. I hate tomatoes unless they are going into ketchup. Onions need to be cooked so soft I don't recognize them as onions. And no matter how lovely the picture looks, I am never going to make things like "Roasted Chile, Squash, and Potato Tacos with Goat Cheese".

It's just not going to happen.


1 comment:

  1. See, and I just found a recipe for vegetarian tacos. Where you use 'meatless crumbles' as the base. I thought with enough chesse, sour cream, and lettuce I wouldn't know what I was eating!

    ReplyDelete