Friday, July 2, 2010

The Back Roads Of My Home Town

After I dropped my son off at a local park for his cross country summer practice, I was struck by the beauty of my surroundings. This is my town. These back roads, the twists and turns, the (I'm sorry daughter of mine) nooks and crannies, the dips and bumps, all are very familiar to me.

It amazes me what I can see on the ten minute drive back into town.

An old man, cigarette dangling from his mouth, tossing hay to his cows.
A Christmas tree farm waiting for it's season, but not at all out of place in these green woods.
Cinder block buildings with no trespassing signs.
Lush valleys, overgrown fields, manicured lawns separated by split rail, chain link, barbed wire.
Logging trucks barely fitting in their lane, shaking a car as they pass by.
Big houses, little houses, mobile homes and one A-frame cottage on the banks of the river.
Cows, horses, some sheep and goats, a dog running down the road making his way home.

The speed limit is posted at 35, but we all know the road calls for a faster speed. Today though, I kept it at 35.

It had nothing whatsoever to do with the putz following too close to me, desperate for me to go faster.

I was just enjoying the road as a law abiding, home town loving, citizen.

No comments:

Post a Comment