Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I'm Dog Crazy But Not Selfish

On Sunday, after church, my son announced that he needed to go to a book store to find a birthday present for a friend. He came home, researched on the computer and knew what book he wanted. We drove 20 minutes to the mall, only to discover that I was right about it having a book store, but wrong about which book store it was.

And it did not have the book he wanted.

That did not stop us from looking all around, up and down, over and under the store. We love books and could have spent tons of money, but all of us were being responsible. So we left empty handed and went across the street to the used book store.

And the first book I saw, I wanted. I tried to put it down, but I couldn't. It was the perfect book for me and I wanted it very much. But I wasn't there to buy books, or if I was I should be buying a book for Father's Day.

Ah-ha! I could give this book to my hubby for Father's Day. I know he'll like it as much as me......but I couldn't do it. It would be like Homer giving Marge a bowling ball with the name 'Homer' engraved on it....we'd all know the book was really mine. That's a terrible kind of gift to give!

Instead, I hugged it close to my heart and bought it with a grin. I wasn't sure what price it was, but after a brief flip through of the pages, I knew I'd buy it even it it was $50. Luckily I didn't have to face that decision! It was $7.50 and I gladly paid it.

Literally a picture of book of A Thousand Dogs. I love it. It is mine.

And the real reason I couldn't give it to my husband for Father's Day is not that it is a book perfect for me. It is that I could not wait until Father's Day, until after the giftee had looked through it, to read it. I came home and sat down on the couch with my book of dogs and I enjoyed the heck out of it!

To finish the story, my son found the books he was looking for. It was a happy day for all!

No comments:

Post a Comment