Sunday, October 6, 2013

Understanding Ruth

The story of Ruth and Naomi is an old one, a Bible story told to youngsters seated in short chairs.  Ruth says to her mother in law, "Wherever you go, I'll go too."  As a kid, I like the romantic part, when long before Bruno Mars said it, Ruth said, "Boaz, I think I want to marry you."  But the other part, where Ruth follows her mother in law away from her family home and all she knew, that I never understood.

I'm lucky in the mother in law department.  I've got a nice one, a kind one, a giving one, but would I go with her wherever she went?  Trust me, she's been to some wild places and I tend to be more of a homebody!  For 20 years it seemed like all we had in common is we love her son.

But then life got hard and sad for all of us and suddenly I knew what Ruth was thinking.  It isn't blood that ties us as family, it is love.  And that love will lead me to do all sorts of things I never thought I could, just because I saw a way to help, a need to fulfill, a hand to squeeze when things were rough, and a person I could be friends with.

I never made it to visit my mother in law in Morocco, I can't visit Baghdad, but her next post is Ireland.  I'm going to start saving my pennies right now to make that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment