Sunday, December 15, 2013

The Reasons I Can And The Reason I Won't

Since my husband is out to sea for another 40 day patrol, and the kids were gone with friends, there was no one here to tell me it was too late or they were too tired or didn't I just want to watch TV instead of doing some late night shopping.....

All reasons why I can throw on a jacket, grab the keys, and do some Christmas shopping at 8:30 PM on a Saturday night.

It was all going so well, too.  I found everything on my list, there were no lines to wait for anything, I was on a roll.

Until I got out to the parking lot, the dark, wet, rainy parking lot, and my hands were full of bags because I didn't want to hassle with pushing a cart back inside, and I walked to my white Chevy Tahoe, pushed the unlock button on the key fob in my hand, opened the back door and put my stuff down on an empty seat, that before I'd gone into this last store had been full of shopping bags.

I've been robbed, I thought, with a sick sinking feeling.  And whoever did it was super stinky, because my car still smells like them.  I looked to the steering wheel and saw two car fresheners hanging there.  And they were thoughtful thieves too, trying to mask their bad odor!

Or, this is not my car.

No, this is a white Chevy Tahoe, parked exactly the same direction as mine, in the exact same spot as mine, only one row over.  

I quickly pulled my bags out, shut their car door, and walked over to my white Chevy Tahoe, with all of it's bags of gifts still inside, and no horrible stench, and got in, locked my doors and got the heck out of there.

The reasons I can are clear; the reason I won't go shopping that late again is because in the dark, all white Chevy Tahoes look alike.

It's a pretty common car in these parts!

4 comments:

  1. At first I was like, how the heck did I not know you were robbed. I've tried to get into the wrong car many times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Michelle! First, so glad that you were not actually robbed. Second, so very glad that I'm not the only one who does this. We drove a Volvo station wagon for a few years - a Volvo station wagon in Seattle! - and I would spend what seemed like hours wandering around a sea of Volvo station wagons looking for the one that had my carseats and junk in it. It's traumatizing. Mad props to you for getting some good shopping done, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter just informed me that I should only get in a white Tahoe after I've checked the bumper for identifying stickers. She said that's the only why she's known which was ours for years!

      Delete
  3. Ha! Did your key work for the wrong car, or was the car just unlocked? Scary, either way!. So glad you were not robbed. My sister had all her gifts stolen one year...it was awful. Hope your Christmas was great!

    ReplyDelete