Monday, July 4, 2011

Three Reasons I Love The 4th Of July

Twenty-one years ago, when I was almost 16, I remember standing by the old bakery with my friend and her boyfriend, watching our hometown parade and talking to people who walked by, when this cute guy we knew started to pass by us. We called him over and asked about how his summer was going and I remember thinking he is so cute and funny and he stayed the rest of the parade with us and my heart was a twitter.

Still is, actually.

Still love going down to our hometown parade with him, holding his hand as we talk to people we know.

Sixteen years ago, we were far from home, on the East Coast, 8 months pregnant with our first child, and feeling homesick for our usual 4th celebrations with family. Instead, we walked down to the beach and laid on a blanket watching the firework shows across the water in New York, talking about the baby we were expecting in a few weeks. It was pretty cool, actually! Not the same as we were used to, and the mosquitoes were crazy biting, but we had a good time and made a great memory.

Fourteen years ago, we were back in our hometown, back celebrating with family, watching the parade and walking up the hill to see our hometown fireworks show. I was a little less than 8 months pregnant with baby #2 and I remembering walking home in the dark, having contraction after contraction, thinking it's kind of early to be having such strong ones. It was, but 7 days later, we welcomed a 4 week early, 8 pound 13 ounce, baby girl into our family.

This day not only invokes feelings of patriotism for our country, our founding fathers, our soldiers, our American spirit....it has strong memory ties to the three most important people in my life.

My husband, my son, my daughter.

This day signals the start of love, of birthday celebrations, of joy and wonder and the best events in my life. I love this day!

Happy 4th of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment