Sunday, July 10, 2011

To Get Through Sad Times....

To get through sad times, all I really need are God and my Mom's biscuits. A little homemade strawberry jam couldn't hurt either.

Last night, as my husband and I were driving into town from our date, the main road in was closed, but my husband, being the former cop that he is, said that's not road closure for construction. That's a closure due to an accident. The detour we took had us driving a cornfield away from the road we wanted and sure enough, we could see flashing lights in the dark. Lots of them.

Looks like a fatality, my former policeman hubby said.

He was right.

But what we didn't know then, and found out this morning when my husband got up at 5am to get ready for work and read an email from Pastor, was the person who died was someone we know.

Shocked doesn't even cover how we feel. There's a whole mess of sadness, tears, disbelief, and bewilderment mixing around in my heart.

I was undecided on going to church this morning. But as I sat in my living room, sipping coffee and wiping away tears and praying for my friend whose husband has unexpectedly passed, I knew I needed the comfort that church provides. I've tried to explain it to my husband, but he did not grow up in church, and doesn't understand the feeling of 'home' and 'just right' I get when I sit down in a pew and listen to the voice of Pastor or when we start singing songs of praise. This morning, I knew I needed to sing some songs and be reminded that God holds us all in his hand, even during the hard times we think we can't get through.

After church, I left feeling better. Then my Mom texted me, "fresh biscuits and strawberry jam" and I texted back, "I'll be there in a few."

Church gave me one kind of comfort, sitting at my Mom's table eating the best biscuits in the world and licking jam off my fingers gave me another. And that is how I am getting through a sad time today....

No comments:

Post a Comment