Sunday, February 13, 2011

You Caught Me Kissing

If ever a book captured my love for my husband through the last 20 years, and what I hope will be many, many years into the future, it is "You Caught Me Kissing" by Dorothy Bridges. I got it from the library on a fluke because I liked the tittle (which is pretty close to the tittle I'd use for my own marriage 'They Always Held Hands'), but from the dedication on, I was caught. I didn't skim, I didn't pause, I didn't want to stop.

I did need a box of tissues.

From You Caught Me Kissing, page 46:

A Valentine is more to me
Than just a red frivolity-
A satin heart, a tinseled sweet
Are empty symbols, incomplete.
A Valentine is when you rise
To hush-a-bye the baby's cries.
A Valentine is when you phone
And say, "Hi, Ma, what's new at home?"
A Valentine is when you shout,
"Take off that apron, let's eat out!"
A Valentine is when we kiss,
Or talk at home one hour unharried.
My Valentine I say is this-
The great big joy of being married.

Thank you, Dorothy. That is my idea of true love.

No comments:

Post a Comment