Monday, April 15, 2013

M Is For Mine

Not only did my sister and I have a great time on Saturday (minus the dead car battery incident that she handle with common sense and gumption while I freaked out), we went out again on Sunday afternoon.  The sun was shining, her husband watched the little kids, and an estate sale close by was wheeling and dealing.  We'd never gone to a Sunday afternoon sale before and were very curious about how low the prices would be slashed.

It was like, wow!  We had our arms full and even a box or two, and we each paid $7 for our huge pile of treasures.  As I was standing there waiting for my sister to do one more walk through (making sure we didn't miss anything!), I stared at this old bicycle.  It'd been one of the first things I looked at, but I was there for smaller things and didn't want to spend all my money at the start.

I'd gotten such a great deal on my things already, I turned to the cash gal and asked, "Would you take $5 for that bike?"

Her enthusiastic, "Yes!" led me to believe they might have given up hope on selling it, and then I second guessed myself.  What if it was too broken for riding?  What if it was $5 wasted?  I rolled it over to the car and decided if it was trashed, the bike rack at the back could be salvaged.  Its hinge is still trap tight.

There is no way to describe my joy when my husband pumped up the tires that still held air, adjusted the seat to fit me, and I gave it a test run.  The brakes are solid, the gears shift nicely, and I am now the proud owner of a bike!

M is for Mine!

18 comments:

  1. Yeh! I love my bike - a solid, no frills cruiser. Have fun riding yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My last bike was stolen from our carport, but I'm going to take better care of this one!

      Delete
  2. That is the deal of the year - nice job! Nice bike!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great deal, and the frame is the perfect size for me. I couldn't believe how lucky I was!

      Delete
  3. Wow $5 for a bike, that is a bargain. You don't get much for $5 these days. Enjoy all those bike rides.

    http://designsbyrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought she'd haggle a little over the price, but she shook my hand right away. It was a great bargain!

      Delete
  4. All you have to do is ask :) Great looking bike, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm super excited to get it cleaned up and start riding the nice paved trails near us.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It might be my favorite deal of the weekend!

      Delete
  6. Wish I had a bike again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand! My daughter's bike is lovely and I've ridden it some, but I felt guilty borrowing it. Now I don't have to anymore!

      Delete
  7. Excellent deal! I love the idea of garage sales and estate sales, but living in the rural area I do, the options are pretty limited unless I'm willing to travel quite a distance, which would probably defeat the purpose of getting great deals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! It's awesome! I love riding bikes,makes me feel like a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now that is five dollars well spent, I mean seriously a bike you like for five bucks and you get to go for nice bike rides, win-win! Lucy's Reality

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did all the good there! The deal of the year, I think.
    Jan at Website
    Beyond Acadia
    Faith Talk
    Swamp Lily Review

    ReplyDelete
  11. That bike looks great in this picture! Still so excited about our Sunday afternoon deals! Only 5 more days till next Sunday... :)

    ReplyDelete