Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I'm Not Staring....I'm Observing

It's taken me almost 37 years, and it was only through my daughter's insightful comment, that I have realized a true fact.

I am not staring. I am observing.

I can't count the number of times as a child that I heard the words, "Stop staring." In fact, one of my favorite stories to hear retold by my Mom is about a woman at seminary with us who told Mom that my sister and I stared. A lot. My thoughts on that now as an adult are, well, that woman must have had something interesting about her.

But it's true. I stare. I've perfected the subtle stare, and if I can't pull of the "you just caught me staring but I was actually looking around the room at a million other things and we just happened to catch our eyes in a completely random accidental gaze," then I will smile to briefly acknowledge that I was indeed looking at you and just move on to stare at the next interesting object that catches my fancy.

As a Mom, I've said "stop staring" quite a bit. In fact, I just said it yesterday to my daughter. To which she replied, "I'm observing. There is a difference."

I think she's right. There is a difference.

So from now on, if you see me watching something intently, just know that I am not staring. I am being observant. And if my observant eyes are on you, well, then you might want to question what you are doing that is drawing my eyes to you.....I only stare at things that rivet my attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment