Wednesday, November 16, 2011

We Won't Leave The Lights On For You

I love it when Tom Bodett says they'll leave the lights on for me. When I was younger, travelling by myself and my dog, I'd stay at a Motel 6 just for the idea of the light burning bright for me. And of course, Motel 6 is dog friendly, so that was a huge plus. Lights on and dogs welcome, good place to be.

Our house is so dog friendly, it's almost crazy in our welcome of dogs. But, leaving the lights on? Not so much.

Suddenly, my husband and I have turned into those people....the ones who turn off every light and chastise the children for leaving one burning brightly when it has no need to be on. Where before, I would have thought nothing of having the kitchen, dining and living room lights on when I was the only one home, now days I turn off lights as I leave rooms. An unnecessary trip is made upstairs to the land of teenagers to turn off their lights after they've left for school.

The kids might leave their bedroom lights on all day if left unchecked, but there is one light they never turn on: the light for the carport and driveway. I'm not complaining exactly, but now that I get home from work in the dark, it's really, really dark out there without that light.

And it's a little hard to walk on gravel, with three dogs at my heels, and numerous car parts and tools strewn about when it is really, really dark. Not to mention, a bit spooky.

I will persevere and take comfort in the fact that the kids have left one light off. It's a start!

1 comment:

  1. So glad I'm not the only one! Haha! My married son came over the other night and left our back gate open (the dog got out) and the garage light on all night long (at least the garage didn't burn down). So, not sure it gets much better as they get older :)

    ReplyDelete