Friday, January 20, 2012

Dairy State Of Emergency

As previously reported, the Pacific Northwest is being hit with a winter storm that has brought snow and ice and dangerous driving conditions.  My family has been scooting along just fine: the kids can walk wherever they want to go, I could walk to work but my parents are actually picking my sister and I up every day, and my husband is loving driving in all of this.

But yesterday, Gov. Gregoire declared a state of emergency, and this proclamation seemed to declare first and foremost that it waives restrictions of work hours for truckers hauling milk shipments from farms to dairy facilities.

Huh.  I didn't know we lived in such a Milk Mafia state.  Who is pulling the strings that we need to make sure milk is going from farms to processing plants asap, even during these days of terrible weather and jack knifed semi trucks up and down the I-5 corridor?

My sister and I had a good laugh over it yesterday at work, and when her husband called to say he was on his way home and stopping at the store first, we cackled, "Don't forget the milk!  There's a milk crisis happening in our state!"  And it was good funny.

Until this morning, when I opened the fridge and saw that we Had No Milk At All.  Last night, the boys made brownies (from scratch of course) and fresh baked brownies require tall glasses of milk and that results in no milk for Mom's cereal in the morning.

Quick!  Defrost the truck and hit the store!  Stock up on milk!  It's a Dairy State of Emergency!

6 comments:

  1. Come on over to the other side of the Cascades and we will stock you up! Oh, wait! The Snohomish Pass is probably closed. Sorry, you'll just have to drink water in a beautiful bottle until Seattle defrosts! Crazy weather for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I now understand why my daughter had fussed that 'now she'd just have to drink orange juice'....I thought she was complaining that the boys had taken her lemonade. Nope! She wanted a glass of milk and there was none.

      Delete
  2. Yikes! I couldn't survive without milk!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I barely survived! And my husband went out for milk today, so I'm good to go now.

      Delete
  3. I never really drink milk. But it always seems that when I want it, it's gone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our house, it's a battle of the milk. I love skim milk but the rest of my family loves 2% (actually, they love whole but agree that is too high fat for them now) but since I do the shopping....we are a skim milk family. It still disappears at an alarming rate!

      Delete