Monday, July 16, 2012

Of One Direction And Spam

I thought watching the "One Direction" special on TV with my daughter was the only thing I was going to enjoy so shamelessly, with no regrets and complete with the "pause this show while I go to the restroom so I don't miss a single moment" devotion.

And then my son came home from work, starving, and fried up some spam.

A little back story: I have successfully not eaten spam for almost 38 years.  I can remember my Aunt once asking, aghast, that I'd never had a hot spam sandwich, and I, equally aghast, said absolutely not.  I had no desire to open a can of 'meat' and eat it.

I'd been raising my children the same way, but on his spring break camping trip, my son tasted spam for the first time, and he loves it.  I would occasionally buy a can for him but I have never been home when he cooked it.

So it's 10:30 at night, I'm full of contentment after watching the latest wonder boy band (they are really talented!) and my son asked me to please try the spam he was cooking. I tried using logic (10:30 is so late to be eating fried, greasy meat) but he just kept offering it.

I grudgingly took one tiny piece, fresh off the griddle, and OMG.  I ate a second one too.

I have no regrets on my new found love of British boy band music or canned meat fried to a crisp.  Both are that good!

11 comments:

  1. We mainly eat Spam when camping. I do anyway - hubby gets the single slices to get his fix more often.

    Last summer, hubby fried up some spam, fried some eggs and layered them on a toasted English muffin with a slice of cheese. OMG. Ambrosia!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know my son is hoping that we make spam a meal on our camping trip this summer. My vegetarian daughter hopes the opposite!

      Delete
  2. I admit that I love Spam, but only when it's fried. I don't eat it often, but every once in a while, I get a craving. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not impressed when he took it out of the can, that's for sure! I was only willing to try it after it had been fried.

      Delete
  3. Hmm One Direction have hit America...Oh dear, shhh don't tell anyone I have a 1D song on my ipod (it's for my daughter...honest!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I was hooked when my son walked into the house to find me (just me and nobody else but me) listening to One Direction....

      Delete
  4. I can't bring myself to eat it, but I know it's tasty. I think it's the salt. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't bring myself to look at the nutrition label....

      Delete
  5. I guess it just goes to show, that if you will try vegetarian for your daughter, that you would try spam for your son. There is a certain amount of irony here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that before, but that is so true!

      Delete
  6. I'm officially updated on One Direction. Nice.

    ReplyDelete