Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Freaks O' Mine

This will come as no surprise to those who know us, but my children are freaks of natures.  I've said it to my kids, so they know it, but they don't really know because it's just natural to them.  They are freaks in the fact that they hardly ever, almost never, very rarely fight.

They are siblings who get along.

The few times they do fight, it is very unsettling for us as parents.  It is such an unusual happening, it throws our whole family groove off.

My son is the oldest and he never looked on his new baby sister as a thing to be jealous of.  She was just a boring old baby.  Then when she was older, and not so boring, she thought her big brother was the best thing in the world.

A few weeks ago, with the start of orchestra practice, my daughter needed to be picked up after school at 4:30, five days a week.  The job of chauffeur fell to my son, after all, he has a license now!  The first pick up was a disaster.  Some teasing that wasn't taken as teasing and a bad mood or two and they were Not Happy with each other.

After talking to each kid and saying 'ignore teasing' to one and 'this is a job you have to do' to the other, that was it.  One sort of fight, and the next day, and all the days since, no problems.

This is why I love these freaks o' mine!  I have no idea how we got so lucky, to have two kids who like each other and like hanging out with each and get along so wonderfully.  They're laid back, easy going, kind and funny selves are just the bee's knees.

The freaky bee's knees, and I am so proud of them!



This post inspired by the daily prompt at NaBloPoMo

7 comments:

  1. My oldest son and my daughter fought like crazy - best friends now. Sounds like you're doing A great job mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! When people ask me what we did to stop the kids from fighting, that is when I say they are freaks. We didn't stop them from fighting becuase they never really started. Not like my own childhood with my sisters....it was like cage fighting with us!

      Delete
  2. My sons found out early in their lives, that to fight/argue (within hearing distance of me or Annie) was to net an instant assignment to work detail. You-fill the wood box; you-wash the truck and you (it was always two against one) clean the bathroom.

    Think of it as a two-fer; no more (audible) arguing, plus the chores done. Worked for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really good advice! I like the two-fer aspect of it!

      Delete
  3. Victor and I get along pretty well. If we ever do get in a fight, it lasts for a full five minutes then it's like nothing ever happened.

    I can argue with him, (I think it's the age difference that sometimes gets us edgy towards each other) but nobody else can. We're sort of overprotective towards each other. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sisters and I fought quite a bit, worse as we hit our teenage years. But the same thing, I could be mean to my sisters, but whoa be it to anyone else! It was my first experience of fierce mother bear instinct.

      Delete
  4. We've been pretty lucky in this department--other than a few flare-ups, my kids mostly get along very well and always have. My closest in age sister and I, on the other hand--it's a miracle we survived childhood and especially adolescence. ;)

    ReplyDelete