Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Why I'm Finding Happiness In Composting

My daughter wanted us to compost years ago, but I said no thanks.  My number one issue is our neighborhood has a slight rat problem (just a slight one but one that did result in our darling puppy dragging in a mummified rat carcass years ago), and our three dogs love rats and rotten funky smells (and a compost is nothing if not a rotten funky smell fest).  The dogs would be in heaven and I'd be scared to walk outside.

A few weeks ago, a flyer from Waste Management arrived in our mailbox, touting the joys of composting and did you know, you can put all those pesky food scraps and coffee grounds in the yard debris bin?  For weekly pick up? 

I did not not know.  So, I got out a weird little bowl that I don't like and I dubbed it the composting bowl, with reminders to the family of what can go in it, and to dump it every day (maybe more, depending on the smell) and rinse the bowl out at night so it will be clean and not too gross.

It's not a unanimous family decision.  It is a bit like having a garbage can on the counter, and yes, people have as good of aim for it as they do for the actual garbage can (less than 100% accurate) and I have not been super hardcore about it.  I'm not sold on it myself.

But the reason I persevere is simple: the yard debris/compost bin is the best way I've ever found to dispose of pizza boxes. 

The happiness at not clogging up the garbage can or trying to recycle the ungreased parts of the box,  or our neighbors having no idea we've eaten pizza twice in a week (one night was all for the kids but the neighbors won't know that, all they will see is 6 boxes and think holy cow) is so worth the hassle of a compost bowl!

9 comments:

  1. We composted for around three years. Then we moved into the city and they don't offer that. Shame. I actually liked composting. Must be the weird OCD part of me that so thoroughly enjoys categorizing and organizing things. Even garbage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to recycle, so I was hoping I'd move over to composting with ease. It's not bad, just a slight adjustment to how I organize!

      Delete
  2. I have thought about composting in our new home. I'll check into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that it is contained in a bin the city picks up weekly. I don't have the space in the yard to keep my own compost!

      Delete
  3. I am glad you are pursuing it. Composting is a way of life here on the mountain, because it is a twofer: we have a home for the next phase of the garbage, and then we turn around and use it to grow next year's veggies. The compost pile is in the orchard, so the doggies have to skip the pot luck. More's the shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'd given serious thought as to were we'd put our own compost pile, and there wasn't a good place in our yard. This program solves that problem!

      Delete
  4. Ah, pizza boxes are a tremendous hassle. Our little town has mandatory curbside recycling for most everything, but they stopped accepting pizza boxes several years ago because of the impossibility of removing all traces of pizza from the boxes. So we cram and bend and tear apart or set them next to the cans in tact, etc, etc.

    This also reminds me of a story about a couple of our neighbors whose property bordered each other. The one man had set up a compost pile just over the edge of the other man's property line. For a long time, it was ignored, but then one day the man who owned the property was mowing and moved the compost pile three or four feet so that it was within the other guy's property line. The compost guy flipped out--I will never forget the sight of him standing on the other guy's porch jumping up and down and yelling, "You don't mess with a man's compost!"

    ReplyDelete