Saturday, February 4, 2012

It's 7:30 In The Morning.....

It's 7:30 in the morning.....do you know where your dogs are?  I know where mine are.  Sitting on my bed giving me the hopeful eye, with an occasional wet nose snuffle to my face.  As alarm clocks go, it's not too bad.    Of course, being that it's Saturday, and I was not really wanting to jump out of bed, it was a little harder to like.

But when I opened my eyes and saw three sets of brown eyes, I forgave them.  I got up, got dressed, got walking.  There was the usual hassle with putting on their harnesses; you'd think since all three are so eager to get walking, and it's been a harness kind of walk since the they were puppies, that putting the harness on wouldn't be so traumatic.  Well, one out of the three disagrees with that, but once I get her on the leash, she is ready to forgive me for the harness.

Then we walk.  It's cold and crisp and frosty.  Being as it's 7:30 on a Saturday, we don't meet any other walkers.  We do see two people warming up their cars and I discovered that all three dogs live in mortal fear of  the cloud of billowing exhaust.  Okay, we will cross the street to avoid that.  There are no other dogs out in yards to bark at, but one of the dogs never forgets a place where barking occurred, and she strains against her leash as we walk past.

In the home stretch, we all slow down a little.  They have breakfast waiting at home and I have my first cup of coffee, but that last half block is not as fast as the other 1.5 miles.  Once we go inside, we are faced with responsibilities: for me it's tons of laundry, for the girls it is staying in our yard.

This is how our half hour walks turn into hour long walks......

6 comments:

  1. Haha. I'm sure they love you for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An awesome way to start your Saturday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my younger years, I never would have thought getting up at 7:30 on a Saturday was a good start to my day....but it is!

      Delete
  3. I walk our Aussie and English Bulldog every morning also, and enjoy it immensely. The only difference is, I walk the dogs after I have had coffee. Everyone has priorities. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've learned to use my first cup of coffee as the carrot on a stick....if I walk the dogs first, I can sit and enjoy as many cups of coffee as I want!

      Delete