Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Not Quite A Mirror

What is my Mom like?  Sometimes I think I am like her and she is like me.  I catch a glimpse of a photo and my brain thinks 'Mom' but with a longer look I know it is really me.  Not a mirror image in appearance or attitude, but enough alike that no one would ever mistake us for strangers.

My Mom is all those good things we all say about our moms: strong and smart and loving and kind and just about the greatest thing since the invention of toast.

She showed me that moms always sacrifice for their children.  She showed me that love is patient.  She showed me that sometimes the cranky and the responsible need to be thrown off, the pouting children forgiven and fun needs to be had.  She showed me that one on one mom and child time is crucial and it never gets too old.  I'm 37 and treasure my dates when it's just her and me.

My Mom's life reads like a novel, the ups and downs, the twists and turns, the romance and love and through it all I learned that hard times are gotten through, home is the place that cradles your heart, a hair pin turn is not a dead end, and a loving family is the greatest of things.

When I am sick and low, she is the cry on my lips.  When I am joyful and giddy, she is the listening ear I can't wait to tell.  When I am just me, prickly and sweet, she is pleased.

It wasn't all sunshine and lollipops in our life, but she did a darn good job and I appreciate it.  My kids appreciate it.  If I am a good Mom, it is because she showed me how.

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet tribute to your mom! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom dates will never go out of date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading your post on your father, I came back and re-read this one. There's a lot of strength in a mom who can go on when her partner is gone. As Tangled Lou said this morning, you think you can't go on living, but you do. That indomitable spirit. Both posts are fitting tributes to your folks.

    ReplyDelete