Friday, February 24, 2012

The Trouble With Imaginations

The trouble with imaginations, or mine in particular, is that my mind is captured by the fantasy world, by the what ifs and what would I have done questions.  I think about the books I've read, the articles, the movies and shows I've watched and I find that it is easy for me to get wide eyed with fright.

If I watch too many zombie shows, I find myself looking for zombies.  And when I'm looking for them, I find an inordinate amount of solitary figures, standing in empty parking lots, not moving but a slight sway back and forth.  My husband, being rational, asked if the person was smoking.  Zombie's do not smoke.  One was, the others were just behaving spooky.

If I watch too many episodes of "Justified," I find that I can not look over at the hillbilly compound next to the trail I walk, for fear the reclusive inhabitants will see me and think I'm taking an inordinate amount of interest in their business.  I have a fondness for apple pie moonshine, and I do not want to be constantly on my guard, waiting for the dreadful words, "It was already in the glass," signifying I've crossed the wrong person and will suffer a quick and painful death.

But this morning's imagination musings take the cake.  I had just read a magazine article about the tragic and horrific exotic animals killed in Ohio a few months ago.  I'm not a fan of zoos, and that 'animal farm' was so much worse than a zoo.  As I was washing my hair (since the shower is where I do a lot of my thinking) I started thinking of what it must have been like to look outside and see a tiger in your field.  Scary, to say the least.  Or a bear!  Frightening!

At that moment I heard the lumbering crashing noise that only a bear in my dining room could make.

Wide eyed with fright, once again.  Darn you, imagination!!!


P.S.  There was no bear, but my dogs were all looking suspiciously angelic.

9 comments:

  1. HAHAHA I hate it when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was terrible! Once my heart stopped pounding, I reminded myself that the house was locked and that bears are too big for our dog door....

      Delete
  2. Imaginations are awesome, magical things! Although I'm POSITIVE that it was spirits that put my dog on our dining table, and not my imagination getting the best of me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Paranormal happenings!

      Delete
    2. Was that mystery ever "solved?" And has it happened again?

      Delete
  3. I often get sucked into imaginary worlds and have some trouble readjusting to the real one. I am well known among family and friends as being extremely easy to startle--I believe this is largely because I spend so much time so deep in my own brain that I am sometimes stunned that the outside world (and the people in it) actually exists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! My kids and their friends love how I jump in startled surprise when the walk into a room.

      Delete
  4. All the years we taught, Annie and I waked before daylight. I had the recurring bear attack worries, only in our case, bears are very much a part of our ecosystem, as are mountain lions (one of which we encountered early, only it was a juvenile-probably middle school age…) bob cats, and a host of other nocturnal critters. We just talked loud and carried a big stick, my cane. And I had a flashlight in my pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first five years of my life were lived in the country side, where if a bear didn't wander through your back yard, he was most likely in your neighbor's!

      Delete