Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Secret To Leftover Sauce

Back to the stove top yesterday, and I managed to not scorch my spaghetti sauce.  It was delicious!  But a little sad since earlier in the afternoon my nephew had cried as he left, "I stay for dinner!"

The secret to leftover sauce is baked spaghetti.  I can stretch a cupful of sauce into a pan of dinner.  Calling it baked spaghetti is not quite right because I use 'fun' pasta like bow ties or mezze penne so it feels less like leftovers.

I present exhibit A

And exhibit B

Just one serving left, and rumor has it my son has claimed it for his lunch tomorrow.  Asked how he heats things up at school, he says he doesn't.  It's that good, he will eat it cold!

7 comments:

  1. "Exhibit A and Exhibit B: what more do you need? And it must be tasty if your son will eat it cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping he'd forgotten, and I could eat it (warm!) for my lunch....but nope. It was long gone!

      Delete
  2. Looks yummy--and coming up with leftovers that reinvent the original food is one of my little specialties, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is really my only good reinvention of leftovers. I rarely have leftovers these days with so many teenage boys at the table, I've gotten out of the creative habit!

      Delete
    2. My favorite "invention" is chili cheese corndog casserole. Leftover chili with cut-up hot dogs and shredded cheddar cheese stirred into it and topped with cornbread mix and then baked. But I totally remember the no leftovers days, too. We're back to leftovers now because I am having trouble adjusting my cooking now that we're down to three people (one of whom is my teenage daughter who eats much less than her older brothers) instead of six.

      Delete
  3. Yum! My brother eats cold spaghetti too. .. how he does it I don't know.. I guess when you're hungry, and the food's good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will admit, I love cold, plain, pasta. But if it was part of a dish with sauce and cheese? Warm it up please!

      Delete