Thursday, March 15, 2012

Laughing While It Hurts

In our family, if my sisters and I get a fit of the giggles, it is all over.  We lose ourselves in laughter, we can't catch our breath, our eyes water, and we have zero arm strength.  So of course, we often find ourselves laughing when we are trying to movie heavy-ish furniture.

It's actually pretty funny.  Unless you are the husband trying to get help from a couple of giggling, weak limbed girls.  I think it's less funny for him.

Laughter is ingrained in me.  I try to see the humor in things, so later, after the sharp edges of a bad moment wear down, I can give a chuckle over bleached sheets or metal springs hidden in butter.  If it will make a good story, I will do my best to make it a great story!

Today, I tripped in front of the bank and tore my tights (no amount of clear nail polish or tiny stitches holding round holes closed can save them this time) and my knees were skinned.  My wallet popped open on the sidewalk and my paycheck started blowing down the sidewalk thanks to the wind storm we are having.

Now, if that's not the making of a good story, I don't know what is!

I'm going to hold a cold rag to my bruised knee, and laugh while it hurts.  It was pretty funny, seeing that rectangle of paper decide to make a break for freedom, while I was stuck in slow motion, regaining my feet in an alarming lackadaisical manner.

I caught it, switched over to my regular glasses, and made sure I was watching for the dastardly curb that caught my feet but not my eyes!


This post inspired by prompt #5 at Mama's Losin' It!



11 comments:

  1. Love it! Hope your knees feel better. Sorry about the tights. I always say that if you're going to fall down in public, make it SPECTACULAR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked my daughter (who was sitting in the truck watching) if it was spectacular and she said not really....Sad but probably true!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad your paycheck didn't get the last laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did not want to try to fish it out from under the truck, so I was very glad to have caught it right before it went under!

      Delete
  3. So glad it ended all right.

    (Poor knees. Hope they get all healed up in no time. I call those, "leg trophies". The scars, the marks I got from being an..um.. "Active" child. Wore them proudly too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a knee that always gets the worst of it....it has a pretty awesome collection of scars!

      Delete
  4. That was a spectacular fall. Why is it that falls are so funny?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but as soon as I caught my check, I started to grin. It was funny (although I wish I'd been watching it, not experiencing it!)

      Delete
  5. Ouch! You gotta laugh or you'll cry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can feel your pain a little too well on this one, having suffered numerous humiliatingly public and, alas, generally unspectacular falls.

    This is only partly related, but my former sister-in-law's wallet popped open once while she was holding it upside-down. She had about twenty dollars in coin change in it. We were at the grocery store and the coins hit the floor and rolled in forty different directions. I then hit the floor and rolled around laughing while a bunch of total strangers were helping her collect the change. I'm a bad person. None of that has anything to do with why she's the former sister-in-law, though. I don't think. ;)

    ReplyDelete