Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Good Advice From Thumper's Mum

While Bambi is one of my least favorite movies (only outranked by ET and Pinocchio), it did give mothers around the world some of the best words of advice ever.

"If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."

I have been guilty of saying this to my own children. It's so useful and true. If all that is coming out of your mouth is complaints and meanness, maybe try a turn at being silent. I know for sure, your silence would go a long way to making me feel better!

Lately it has struck me that I should not just dole out that advice, but I should take it too. If I can't say something nice, I should zip my lips.

Some days, that is shockingly hard and the zipper to my mouth doesn't work and before I know it, I've spent a huge portion of my lunch hour complaining and fussing. I do believe that sometimes you've just got to let off steam and let your complaints raise the rafters, but I realized upon closer introspection, that I was letting off steam all the time.

How rude of me! Especially if I complain about people who are spending all their time complaining! Pot and Kettle, I believe you two know each other.

I think I've fixed my zipper and have been trying so much harder to live by the advice I gave my kids. If I can't say anything nice, hmmph muhmp mmhph.

See? My lip zipper is working.

2 comments:

  1. Hate Bambi, but also hate "It's a Wonderful Life"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete