Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A True Bookworm

I remember clearly the first book I read on my own. I was in first grade and as I sat in the backseat of the family car with my sisters, I was holding a thin book, looking at the pictures. I realized the words were just as interesting.

From that moment on, I have read. I've read and read and read. I have amassed a library collection that overflowed the shelves I owned, and I've done several purges through the years, trying to keep my books under control. If I finish a book and know I will never read it again, it can't stay on my shelf. I have had to be tough on myself in regards to book ownership because I have never been able to pass by a good looking book especially if it's priced right.

I always look over the Friends of the Library book sale and I could stand in the thrift store book section for far longer than my kids will tolerate.

But what makes me a true bookworm is that I will be late for work due to the fact that I read every morning. It's not a good start to my day unless, after my morning exercise, I get a cup of coffee and settle down with my current read.

And if I am so close to the end that I have to finish it with no regard to time? Well, so be it.

Bookworms tend to never be on time, don't you know? Or at least, this bookworm is. The call of the book I am reading is stronger than the call to be responsible! Dishes and dinner and work can all wait a little bit longer. I've only got 7 pages left!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you read every morning. That is insane. I was happy last week that I finally read a book from beginning to end!

    ReplyDelete