Thursday, October 27, 2011

What Tennis Shoes Mean To My Dogs

Tying on my tennis shoes sends my three darling dogs into a frenzy of acrobatic leaps and spins. Every time. They are Pavlov's Dog in this: my tennis shoes equal a walk. It's not just my tennis shoes. It's my exercise pants too. And holy smokes, the crazy frenzy they get into if I put on my sweatshirt.

It's my fault. Every morning this summer I would change out of my pajamas and put on my yoga pants, my work out shirt, my tennis shoes and the four of us would venture out into the lovely early morning light and walk. So much of a routine, now the girls expect it will happen.

But with the season changes, the mornings are too dark for me to walk (there is something about early morning dark that freaks me out, while evening dark is totally cool). The girls have learned that I could walk them any time, and so they are on alert at all times. If I change into my comfy/exercise pants, if I put on my tennis shoes, if I slip into my sweatshirt, the girls think they are walking.

Sadly, with the season changing, sometimes me wearing a sweatshirt just means I am cold. And flip flops are no longer appropriate to wear so my faithful tennis shoes are the go to footwear option. And, well, I'd have thought my dogs would have learned by now that if I am hanging out at home, I am wearing my comfy pants....regardless of my plans to exercise or lie on the couch eating bon-bons.

Sometimes I wonder if they are using some sort of psychology on me. Sometimes, more often than I care to admit, I don't want to walk them. Sometimes I am feeling lazy and am looking for any excuse to not walk. But when I see how excited my dogs are, I feel so guilty for disappointing them, I usually gather up my gumption and we walk.

They are pretty smart dogs. It is entirely possibly they are using guilt to get me out there walking.

I'm okay with that. After all, I can lie on the couch and eat bon-bons after we get back. It's a win win situation!

1 comment:

  1. So funny. My dog (Pomeranian) does the same thing. She sees me get my shoes, or my jacket, or my purse, or whatever, and absolutely goes nuts with joy! And even if I hadn't planned on taking her for a walk, well, . . . how can you resist that happy little pooch??!!

    ReplyDelete